Monday 21 January 2013

Roasted Duck Soup


I love soup. I could eat it everyday. Today's weather calls for a hot bowl of soup. Roasted duck soup is so yummy. The Asian market that I shop at has roasted duck already prepared to buy so that's where I get it. I don't think I would know where to start when roasting a duck.When I make soup I make it in my big stock pot and we eat it for 2 days. This recipe should make 10-12 servings. Use 1 pack of roasted duck and 1 pack of noodles per day if eating it like I do or if you only need 5-6 servings. My kids don't like roasted duck so I bought them some BBQ pork, I put a little bit in mine, I can't resist BBQ Pork. One of my boys does not like won ton noodles, I use ramen noodles for him. If you serve each person a bundle of noodles you will need 2.5 packs of won ton noodles.

Roasted Duck Soup 
3 lbs of pork bones
bones from 1 chicken
1 dried squid, roasted
10 quarts of water
1 onion
1 5-6 inch piece of ginger, sliced in half
 6 tbsp fish sauce
6 tsp light soy sauce
8 tsp sugar
2 tsp 5 spice powder
6 green onion, slice thin
1 cup cilantro chopped
bag of baby bok choy 20-30 per bag, ends cut off and washed,
2 Chinese roasted ducks, store bought, cut into pieces, skin on
2 packages of wonton noodle, 400 grams each
2 limes, cut into 6 pieces each* optional
Sriracha * optional
Hoisin sauce * optional

Place all the bones into a pot that holds at least 12 quarts of water. Put enough water in the pot to cover the bones. Put on high heat. Bring to a boil. Boil for 3- 5 minutes.

You don't want all of the scum in the above picture in your soup!

While the bones are boiling, roast your dried squid. Place it in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant, flip over and do the same to the other side.


When the bones are boiled dump the bones and water into the sink. Rinse the pot out and rinse the scum off the bones. Put the bones back in the pot with 10 quarts of water and the dried squid. Put it back on the stove over high heat.

Skin the onion and cut in half. Turn another burner on high, put the ginger and onion directly on the burner. Let the ginger and onion burn until black, turn over and repeat.

 Rinse them off with water and add to the pot. Put the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and 5 spice powder into the pot. Bring the water to a boil. Turn down the heat to low, cover and cook for at least 6 hours, I like to cook it overnight. When it's done, boil water in another medium sized pot. Cook noodles according to package. Divide into bowls. Put the cut pieces of roasted duck in the bowl, the broth will warm it up, a handful of green onion, baby bok choy and cilantro in each bowl as well. Pour the broth over top. Garnish with Sriracha, Hoisin sauce, a squeeze of lime.

You can strain the broth into a separate pot and discard the bones and squid if you like. I eat the soup for two days, so I like to leave everything in the pot and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I find it has a better taste the next day. When I reheat it the next day I heat it up with the bones. If you freeze the broth for another use, discard the bones and squid.

If you are making smaller portions decrease the amount of everything used except for the amount of ginger and onion you burn. Use one 5-6 inch piece of ginger and 1 whole onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment